Meeting your own needs
Let’s be honest, between building a business, creating your products and services for clients, being a Mum and running a family, it leaves little time for you.
It’s a common problem for us all. But you know your needs are important too right?
Because while we are busy taking care of others, who’s taking care of us?
I get it. It’s a constant work in progress for me to make time for myself and my own self-care.
But recently I experienced what it feels like to allow myself time and space to do what fulfills me.
To take responsibility and to take care of myself.
To do what makes me happy.
How a simple idea changed my Self-Care Commitment
Last month when business was all-consuming, my days were a blur and my nights were late, I felt myself yearning for calm and time to tune back in to what I really needed.
My mind was losing focus and clarity and I was getting overwhelmed.
My family was noticing.
My body was begging me to slow down and the universe was sending me many, many signs!
So finally after hanging in there and trying to do it all, I took it seriously.
I stopped and listened.
A Moment of Inspiration
As I like to create, in a moment of journaling inspiration, I came up with Honour Your Bliss, an intentional way of spending time with myself, doing things I love and nurturing my soul.
I love the word Honour, it sounds important. And the word Bliss conjured up beautiful feelings of happiness.
Creating happiness for ourselves is important!
So Honour Your Bliss was born. I made space for 7 days of me time.
And by the end of the 7 days, I was blown away by how much it benefited me, my business and my family that I knew I had to share it.
Step 1 of sharing it is this blog post. Stay tuned for my next steps!
How you can Honour Your Bliss
So here’s what I did:
- Limited social media and postponed all but necessary work for my business.
- Wrote a list of as many things as possible that bring me bliss – with no filter.
- From that list, I chose things I could and wanted to do in my 7 days of Bliss.
- Blocked them out in my diary each day as a commitment to honouring myself.
- Wrote in my journal daily to record my thoughts, discoveries, changes and any benefits I could feel.
A few days into the week, I was feeling amazing, rejuvenated, relaxed and with a flurry of new ideas flowing freely.
I was happier, calmer, more present for my family, less stressed and proud of the time I was taking to honour my needs.
Want to try your own version of this?
Here are some tips that may help in addition to the above:
1. Make your own rules – you could:
- choose 1 day each week for a month
- block out 30 minutes a day
- or do what I did and try it for a week
2. Be real about what brings YOU bliss. This is about you and your needs.
3. Use your imagination and do things you haven’t done in a while. Childhood is a great place to start!
4. Record your thoughts daily. It’s important to have reminders of what things really had an impact on you.
Do it for you
If you know you have not been taking time for yourself, and like me, you realise something needs to change, then give yourself the gift of a week of self-care and bliss.
Honouring your Bliss means honouring your needs as a creative woman.
Are you ready?
Let me know how you go, I’d love to hear from you!
My email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until next time,
May your creative soul always shine,